Thursday, December 3, 2020

I Will Be Leaving Facebook To Concentrate On Fighting -- And Winning! -- My Battle With Cancer..

 Back in the mid-1970's, I was stationed at the Coast Guard Group office in downtown Boston right smack on the waterfront.  Boston harbor was a hub of boating activity, with many "captains" taking themselves and their families out for a cruise to enjoy the many sights available to all Bostonians.  This was especially true during the summer, when boaters of lesser experience or responsibility, would take to the sea, lacking some basic safety protocols, as well as consideration for their fellow boating public.   On a typical summer weekend, things would begin to get just a "wee bit" busy!    

It wasn't only civilian, Sunday boaters that gave constant headaches to the Coast Guard, but also commercial fishermen setting out in sometimes-rough seas in their rickety -- and leaking -- boats.  Sure, they had to make a living, but they knew that if they started to take on water, they could call the Coast Guard and get additional water pumps delivered, or towed back to Boston or Gloucester...   

The communications center, or radio room, was manned by one petty officer radioman, along with a supervisor during the daytime hours.  When the supervisor left at the end of his shift, (he worked a regular eight-hour tour) all responsibilities for successfully operating the center, fell on the shoulders -- and experience -- of the lone radioman.  There was always a staff duty officer, usually a high-ranking petty officer up to the Master Chief grade, available, not only to advise and direct the rescue boats and crew, but also to write sit-reps (situation reports).  In addition, he could request further assistance from the District HQ, in the form of Coast Guard helicopters or larger C.G. ships to run search patterns for those reported missing... 

My main duties were voice -- search and rescue operations, as well as providing mariners with security,  weather updates and warnings.  The training and experience of the radioman played a crucial part in helping to save lives using his authoritative and knowledgeable voice, giving those in distress, confidence that they will be plucked out of the cold Boston harbor waters.   

The ability to prioritize tasks was the radioman's best friend, especially when several calls for help and assistance came into the communications center at the same time.  If someone ran out of gas, that's one thing, but if a boat was taking on water, with the distinct possibility of sinking, that's another.  I have personally worked a case, where the captain called a May-Day distress call, telling me his boat was on fire -- and his family was on board!   That became priority number one!    

 I can recount many situations over my three-and-a-half years working SAR (search and rescue), and meeting only once, a couple -- father and daughter -- that were rescued and brought to the duty officer's room (separated from the communication center by a sliding glass door).  They were thankful and happy, as we wrapped them in blankets until they were checked-out and finally released.  

My ability to prioritize helped me to save others using my voice, now I must prioritize my activities in order for me to combat and defeat my battle against cancer.  I will never give up!  And with the many good and decent folks using their voices praying for me, I know that Our Lord will hear those prayers, and be merciful to me.  

I will continue to write articles and post them on my blog: www.powerthroughtruth.blogspot.com.  If you wish to know when I post a new article, simply go to my blog-site; scroll down to the lower right hand corner, where you will see "Follow by Email," enter your e-mail address and hit "Submit."   

God bless all!!  

Pray for strength and honor!

Viva Cristo Rey!  Fr. Miguel Pro, pray for us...

Gene DeLalla









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Remember Archbishop Sheen's Prediction Of The Establishment Of A Parallel "Catholic Church" Devoid Of Divine Faith?

  For those who have eyes to see and ears to hear, it behooves those believers to recognize the diabolical disorientation and condemn, in no...