Saturday, December 16, 2023

Today Marks My 56-Year Anniversary Of Going To Vietnam...

 What can I say?

I survived, but 111 of my brother Air Force Security Police did not, their names are on the Wall in D.C., along with the other 58,000-plus brothers and yes, even some sisters who died during that protracted war... 

The sisters who perished were mostly nurses assisting the wounded in MASH units designed to provide almost immediate aid to the troops wounded in the field, after being flown out by the "Dust-Off" choppers.  

As for me, I didn't fight in the jungles as my brother army and Marines did, though I came close at least one time, however there were times on the perimeter when things got just a little dicey and the guarantee of seeing another sunrise was not promised to me or anyone else assigned to defend that perimeter at all costs.

I also have to say, that I was not wounded in battle, but only in mind and spirit.  The physical "wounds" would occur many years later due to the herbicides, especially the deadly Agent Orange, used to defoliate the forests and jungles to uncover the hiding places of the VC (Viet Cong) and the NVA (North Vietnamese Army) as they infiltrated from the North to the South using the "Ho Chi Minh Trail"...

In fact, a massive cancerous tumor was removed back in September 2020, with 30 consecutive radiation treatments to kill any remaining cancer cells that might have been left behind.

Unfortunately, I was to find out that because of those radiation treatments, my kidneys began to suffer and fall into chronic kidney disease, which, as of this writing, has shown some improvement.

In addition to the above, I have incurred other health issues that I am dealing with, with the help of the VA -- and my dear wife, Kathy... We are following a homeopathic protocol that seems to be helping for the kidneys and prostate...

                                                   *****

When my tour was up on December 16, 1968, I flew back to the world (the U.S.) and processed out of the service.  Looking back, I feel that I should have re-enlisted for another four years, but if I did, there was a very good possibility of being sent back to Vietnam a second time.  That is something that I didn't want to experience, but on the other hand, if had orders to go, I would definitely have gone, no questions or doubts about that! 

In closing, I just wanted to write that even though the Vietnam War was not a "popular" war, as World War Two supposedly was, were not the troops who put their lives on the line deserving of being honored and supported as veterans of previous wars?

Sadly, that was not the case and many Vietnam vets suffered even further when they got home.  Some recognition came many years later, but too late for some as many of my brothers have passed away either from health issues or from old age...

All I ask is that a little prayer might be said for those brothers-in-arms, especially for the souls of Vietnam veterans that have gone to their Particular Judgment, standing in front of the Just Judge, Christ our Lord, that He might have had mercy on them -- and me, when my time comes...

Pray for strength and honor!

Viva Cristo Rey!  Bl. Fr. Miguel Pro, Fr. Emil Kapaun and Fr. Vincent Capodanno, pray for us...

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle...

Gene DeLalla 














 








 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Remember Archbishop Sheen's Prediction Of The Establishment Of A Parallel "Catholic Church" Devoid Of Divine Faith?

  For those who have eyes to see and ears to hear, it behooves those believers to recognize the diabolical disorientation and condemn, in no...